Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Walking the Walk

The first line says it all. "Walking away from our idols is a lifelong process." UGH! We like the quick fix and the magic formula, don't we? LORD, I have this in my life, now be gone! But the LORD seldom works that way for most of us…

He expects us to be like Abraham, walking without the details and showing us the way, step by step. I'm a detail girl…my prior business, in commercial design, was based on knowing and anticipating the details. I like to study the blueprint, see where the problem areas might be before I begin and code the items ahead of time. I build in contingencies, you know in case we've missed something somewhere. After all that, the drawings are stamped by the architect, reviewed by code officials and THEN we move. Clearly, in God's world, due diligence isn't what He's looking for.

Why did that wonderful hymn, Trust and Obey just pop into my mind? (I'm not kidding). Trust and obey, for there's no other way… and now I have visions of Kelly's little cousin, saying "I'm sitting down the outside, but in my heart I'm standing up." In God's economy, we can't have one of those without the other, they are spiritual twins! If we trust, but don't follow through with obedience, then did we truly trust? If we obey but don't really trust then we're like Jonah, missing the 18" connection from the brain to the heart. Trust and obedience have to go hand in hand, even when we don't know the path, even when we don't have the details. Process…

The truth of the matter is there is no formula, because we can't do it ourselves. We have to seek God's help, we can't exercise or diet our way into spiritual fitness in our own power. God has to strengthen us to make the heart change and He will because He is crazy in love with us! You want to put down an idol; you have to bathe it in prayer. Lots of prayer. "You who call on the LORD, give yourselves no rest…" (Isaiah 62:6).

Beloved, we've walked a good way over these past six weeks. We've come so far – don't give up now, commit to the process that the LORD has for you. It will be different for each one of us, so don't compare what God is doing for you with what He's doing with your friend. Remember, Peter asked, what about John and Jesus said, worry about yourself, Peter. I'll worry about John. (my abridged version). We're about to enter our last week of study together, so stay strong. Pray without ceasing and keep your eyes on Jesus – No Other God is worth the time!

Finally, Kelly (page 145) said, "there are things that we can't make sense of. Things that sometimes our idols can explain much better. And when they can't explain them, they can at least make us feel really good in our confusion" Girlfriend, there is a nutshell is why my hips are getting bigger…

Let's work on really seeking the LORD when those old idols call us back. Let's fill up those empty places with words that satisfy and promises that have never been broken, the REAL comfort food.

See you at the throne this week!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment