Sunday, August 9, 2009

New Hellos

I'm on vacation this week, so I'm posting a little early this week. I didn't think you would mind. We're climbing some mountains, literally, we're hiking in the Great Smoky Mountains and I can't wait to see what God will show us along the trail.

We'll be on trails we've never been on before and sometimes that's scary because we're trusting that what we see when we get to the top is worth all the effort (and shortness of breath) as we climb. Sometimes, it's a bit dangerous. Twisted ankles, dehydration and well, bears are all possibilities along the trail. But we have a map to depend on; and we've researched the trail and we trust that the author is correct when he says there is something wonderful at the summit. We're rarely disappointed.

If only I would approach spiritual mountains the same way. One foot in front of the other, just keep going, the Guide says it will be worth it when I get to the top. In fact, He'll walk right there beside me. I know this Guide and what He says is trustworthy and true, but with Him, I still hesitate...are you sure?

A good hiker watches what's in her backpack. There are some things you need that are good and useful but then there are also some things that just add weight and ultimately hold you back. When the mountain is looming ahead, you don't need added weight to hinder your climb. But I don't want to say goodbye to my stuff!! So, I pack it neatly and hoist it to my back and huff and puff under the burden, just in case something unexpected happens. Be prepared, isn't that right? The unknown before me is sometimes bigger than the giant I see. Facing the unknown without my props is even harder.

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God." Corrie Ten Boom

I've been studying Jeremiah in my quiet time this week. Jeremiah was a reluctant prophet who was given the assignment to give the stern warning to Judah about the coming judgement. Judgement of what? Check this out:

Jeremiah 1:16 "I will pronounce my judgements on them (Judah) concerning all their wickedness, whereby they have forsaken Me and offered sacrifices to other gods, and worshipped the works of their own hands." The LORD continues in 2:5, "What injustice did your fathers find in Me, that they went far from Me and walked after emptiness and became empty?" (Is that the leanness of the soul we studied?) LORD, can you be talking about me? Have I sacrificed (time, effort, money) to the works of my own hands, things that in reality just leave me empty but weigh a ton?

Why are we carrying these things in our packs, girlfriends? In Jeremiah 10 (you should read the entire chapter) the LORD points out the absurdity of the things we rely on instead of Him. He says, (my abridged version), "this stuff you're carrying around is like a scarecrow in a cucumber field, it can't speak, in fact, it can't walk, it doesn't help you walk, you have to carry it." (v5).
Jeremiah asks Judah, "did they (little g gods) create anything themselves...no, "there is no breath in them." (v 14).

Do I need a god that I have to carry? Do I need a god that needs me to do everything for it? Isn't that backward? Indeed!

Hmmm, how foolish to carry extra weight that can't even carry itself!! How foolish to carry things in my pack that will just cause me to breath harder from the effort of carrying them around! "Where are your gods which you made for yourself? Let them arise, if they can save you." (Jeremiah 2:28). Think about it; it's absurd, isn't it? We made them, they didn't make us.

It's time to lighten the load in my pack and say goodbye to stuff I've been packing that's too heavy to carry. We're not pack animals, we walk on two legs. We weren't made to carry junk. If it can't walk beside me (thank you Jesus for promising to walk beside me), then I don't need to drag this junk anymore. I've got everything I need for the trip right beside me!

How about you? Got something you need to say goodbye to? Are there things taking up precious space in your life that the LORD says you don't need because you have everything you already need? Or maybe you already laid it down but sometimes you just want to run back and get it, goodbyes are hard!

Let's check: Can it save you when you're in trouble? Can it speak words of comfort when you need them or is it a scarecrow in the cucumber field? Can it create new life in you? Can it walk beside you? Will it rejoice over you with singing? (Zephaniah 3:17)

It's time to say some goodbyes and some new hellos. Let's get reacquainted with the real Guide.

I'll meet you on the summit; the Guide says it's worth the effort to get there. I'm going to trust Him. Wow, I just lost some weight...that's the best diet I've ever been on!

Love you gals!
Donna

No comments:

Post a Comment